Wednesday, December 14, 2016

December Surprise

Last week I caught a brief glimpse of a Hummingbird at the bird bath.  I figured it was just a very, very late migrating bird passing through.  Today, I happened to be filming some doves when low and behold, here it came again.

During the summer, I would watch as they would get right at the edge of the fountain where water is running over the rock and they would brush up against the running water.  I guess this is there version of bathing.

The hummingbird did this same thing today.  I have to say it was a pretty grungy looking little bird.  I know that on rare occasions, a hummer will over winter so I am beginning to wonder on this one.

Needless to say, I immediately fixed some sugar water and hung out.  If the poor little creature is going to make it through the hard cold the next two days, it will need some energy.  At least there have still been some gardenia and rose bushes with flowers so I guess it may have been hitting those.

I didn't have my still camera out but did capture this video of it.

 

No comments: