Thursday, December 15, 2016

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday when I spotted the hummingbird trying to bathe, I noticed a considerable portion of its breast feathers were matted with a substance.  The littler hummer also seemed a bit lethargic and anemic.  I am sure some of it could be attributed to the cold and I suspect lack of nutrition was the other reason.

Around 1000 this morning, the hummer showed back up and I had placed a feeder near the bird bath/fountain.  The hummer went immediately to the feeder and drank for quite a while.

Over the course of the day, the frequency of visits to the feeder went from about every 15 minutes to about 25 minutes.  Twice I saw the bird bathe then sit in a nearby tree and do a bit of preening.  By the end of the day, whatever substance that had matted the breast feathers the day before was gone and the little hummer's appearance had greatly improved.

With the hard cold tonight, I can only hope it will be okay.  I will keep my fingers crossed that I see it back tomorrow.


No comments: