Sunday, September 5, 2010

Projects Galore!


After a very long hot summer, fall is right around the corner and too many projects around the house have gone undone. From Saturday through Tuesday, all work and no play

I stopped by HD on Friday coming home from work and purchased a new gas powered pressure washer. The small electric one I had was not hitting on much. With a small snag Saturday morning, I had to go back to the Depot but they exchanged a bad part for me. A little side trip to the Farmer's Market then back home (okay, a little play).

It took me most of the day to clear the deck and wash it along with the siding around the back. By nightfall, I was whipped. After a shower, I did go ahead and get 2 gallons of stain/weatherproofer to be ready for in the morning. Sunday morning the deck felt good and dry so I started. After the first big roll of stain I though what the heck. I have always used Cedar Natural color and this was way more red. Looked at the label....redwood. Since I had already done a large section, I took the one gallon of Cedar Natural back for another gallon of redwood. All I can say is I hope it tones down in a couple of weeks.

The chairs on the deck I have always stained. This time, I decided I wanted a splash of color. For darn sure they are going to be blue. I am going to have to go back for some more paint. The chairs are sucking it up. Tomorrow, I will alternate between painting and the next project.

Red deck, blue chairs and white siding, at least it is patriotic. Maybe add another color for a little more variety?

The dead and dying flower bed......so sad. My small ornamental fish pool (frog pool and Ali's swinning pool is more like it) is directly across from the flower bed. Between the racoons and Ali, I long ago gave up on fish. Even though there is a pump and filter, without the fish to keep mosquito larve in check, I have had that issue.

During the last two weeks I have been scouring books and the internet for disappearing fall/fountain ideas. I have a really nice large stone I have been using so that will be the centerpiece. It has a hole in the center to run a hose up and a hollowed out center that the birds love to use for a bird bath. The plants I am going to select will all be perennials and offer what the birds or butterflies like. Also included are going to be several native grasses.

Lower down in the bed, I am going to fix a bog type area for all those plant types that like to have wet feet. Stay tuned for progress updates.

No comments: