Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Spring Day in January

If not evidenced by the calendar, the weather today would have fooled anyone.  Ice was on the ground only three days ago and today in the mid 70's..... crazy weather.  It definitely added to my developing  case of spring fever.











A late morning start so I just did some practicing today with the extender on the camera taking some test shots to determine if my eyesight is good enough for some decent shots using it.  Such a shame the auto-focus will not work with it on.  If I really took my time, I came out with some decent shots but definitely could not use it for any rapid fire photography.  Anyway, it was a pleasant morning out and gave me a chance for some experimentation.

There is a subtle but definite change beginning in the bird coloration.  The richness of their breeding colors is slowly increasing.  The yellow of the Goldfinches is becoming bolder and a very noticeable change in the Yellow-Rumped Warblers.







 The Pine Warblers today have been very vocal.  The males are really becoming striking bright yellow.


I don't have any comparison for the Red-Breasted Nuthatches since this is the first year they have been here,  but their colors are definitely becoming richer from the time they first arrived.  I will be anxious to see whether they go back to where they came from or perhaps will take up permanent residence.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

No comments: