Saturday, April 23, 2011

Birding At Home




The morning started out with a light drizzle and fog and between having a presentation to work on for a bluebird society meeting where I have been invited to present and gas prices sky high, at home it was today.



Late this afternoon the sun came out and it was beautiful. I will splurge tomorrow on a birding outing. I did have another purpose for staying home particularly once the sun came out. For the last couple of days, a Great Crested Flycatcher has been hanging around and as I am typing hear it has come back and is sitting out calling.



As they are only migratory birds in this area, it is exciting when one takes up residence for the summer. After a couple of days of listening to it but never quite being able to get a good look, this afternoon was it. When I finally spotted it, I also happened to notice another unfamiliar bird. I have heard its call the last couple of afternoons also and unfortunately, it flew so quickly I only got tail feathers. Well, just a challenge for another afternoon.


A bluebird that is nesting in a box up the street flew down to hunt insects in the sinking sunlight of the day. The birds hit the trees in front of the house as they catch the last rays.

No comments: