Sunday, April 3, 2011

Great Birding Morning


I was pulled to work the 3-11 shift for the weekend which I dreaded because my normal hours are 6-3 but decided it was the lesser of two busy weekends.


I wasn't sure I would feel like getting up early to go birding this morning knowing I had to go in at 3 but decided with the beautiful weather, yes and it turned out to be a fantastic day.


On a couple of occasions over the last 2-3 weeks when going to my favorite haunt, I had spotted a bird I didn't readily recognize but with traffic was unable to stop. This morning early I headed out with the intention to take a couple of side stops and there it was. I went to a turn around and came back up just knowing the bird would be gone but there it was. I eased out of the car grabbing the camera and grabbed some shots. I knew it was not a bird normally seen in the are but still unsure at this point what it was.


When I arrived at my destination I grabbed the bird book and started looking. My friend punch it in on the ipad and there it was. A Scissor-tailed flycatcher. They are not normally in the area and are more towards Texas and Oklahoma. What a thrill. So this constitutes a rare bird in this area.


Day continued with a Yellow Palm Warbler and several other good shots. I am just getting home and wanted to make a post but it is off to bed now. I have tomorrow off and plan to head out early. Weather is suppose to be beautiful so I hope for good birding.

1 comment:

Woodduck said...

Great capture...happy trails