Monday, October 17, 2011

Going Nuts! (Acorns that is)


Unfortunately I was not able to do much birding this weekend which is ashame because the weather was beautiful and it is prime birding season. A sick pup however took priority over all. I was able to get out just a bit today while she was at the vet. They wanted to keep her a couple of hours so the park I visit was fairly close by so I killed some time there.

Lots of warblers of all descriptions were out. The Yellow-Rumped Warblers have flocked in for the remainder of the year until early spring. Everytime I would spot something move it seemed to be a YRW.
A huge flock of Cedar Waxwings came in and generally stirred up all the birds. A couple of quick shots and time to leave.

Back to the vet to pick up my very sedated 67 lb baby. Thankfully slept all the way home and did not want to get out of the car when we arrived. Some coaxing with a treat and she came in and crashed.

Over the last two weeks, the acorns have showered down on the house and it sounds like someone throwing a handful of rocks on the roof. Unfortunately I have two valleys on the house that capture them. With rain coming, I wanted to clear them off the roof. Five pillowcases full of acrons. Is this a sign of a bad winter?

Out of curiosity to see if the deer do like them, I took them to the edge of the woods where the deer come up and dumped all five bags out. The row was six feet long by two feet wide by about 4 inches deep on average. If I had a dollar for every acorn....I could take that birding trip of a lifetime.

No comments: