Friday, June 28, 2013

Panasonic Lumix GX1 Test Shot

My new 4/3 camera arrived yesterday so I took it out for a test drive this morning.  I wanted a smaller camera to take on hiking trips or when I did not want the weight of the DSLR.  My intentions are also to attempt for it to be my digiscoping camera which I have not tried yet but will give it a go later today.

Panasonic Lumix GX1, 300mm and 2x optical zoom
With it only to be a back up type camera, I really did not want to go top of the line so after much research decided on the Panasonic Lumix GX1.  I spent more on the 100-300 lens than I did on the camera body.  I had hoped that by using the optical zoom (it has a 2x and 4x) I could get some additional distance when or if needed.

A couple of Great Bluer Herons were posing nicely this morning so I gave it a test.  This one thing I wish that I had done was to hook up the remote cable before shooting.  I can tell that any residual movement from manually pressing the shutter button shows when the image stabilization is off (due to being tripod mounted) has an effect.

The files are really large even saving at the lowest compression rate.  I did change the resolution down to 250 from 300 on this shot just to get a smaller file size.  I am hoping with a little more practice and learning the camera the shot quality will improve.  This was shot in jpeg vs raw which I usually shoot.  I believe on the next test I will change to raw format.

By comparison, the shot below was taken with my Canon 5D Mk III using a 100-400 lens.
Canon 5D Mk III, 100-400 lens,


No comments: