Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sunshine

Finally some sunshine today.  I spent most of the day cutting up limbs.  I had lots of tree trimming done yesterday but the price only included the cutting.  Glad that job is done.

Back during the spring, one of the escaped sunflower seeds from the bird feeder sprouted.  I dug it up and put it in a pot on the deck.  The Goldfinches started coming to it while it was blooming looking for insects and today, this male GF visited the plant twice tearing out the seeds.  I think next year I will fix an area to plant a little plot of them.

I am looking forward to taking my nephew out tomorrow to do some photography.  With all the rain we have had, there are some really amazing mushrooms out now.

6 comments:

Coppertop said...

I usually plant an area with sunflowers but did not get it done this year. The deer love the seeds as well. They will also chomp at the stalks.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen a gf here all summer.
Guess they don't like what I am feeding the birds.

Metis Birding said...

Great shot! I had sunflowers from my bird feeder pop up all over my garden this year..it was beautiful! Please post some pictures of the mushrooms you find!

Nature Girl said...

Hi Liz, I think most birds really love sunflowers. I definitely plan to plant some next year.

Nature Girl said...

Hi Gladys, the GF's have only been coming in over the last couple of weeks. Glad to see them coming in. They love the finch socks but I seem to only find them in the stores more towards fall and winter.

Nature Girl said...

Thanks Metis Birding. I forgot how such a simple flower as sunflowers really attract the birds.