Monday, November 1, 2010

Long Morning Walk with the Hawk

I had an unbelieveable morning. I went out with intentions of taking test shots this morning trying to determine what the issue were I have been having with the camera. I had stopped at various locations to shoot in a variety of light conditions and was taking notes as I shot so I could compare once I uploaded them to the computer.


I walked up to within five feet of a hawk that was sitting on a broken tree. I was so busy looking at the leaves I didn't even notice it. We both looked at each other for about 30 seconds. It flew by me so close I could have reached out and touched it. I watched and noticed it did not fly but a couple of trees away and had perched on a rather low branch. The photos are in sequence of the stops it took.


I slowly walked around the bend and took a few shots however I knew they would not be very good because of the light. After a couple of shots and I continued walking up the trail. I could not believe it, the hawk flew right passed me and landed in a tree just a little up the path. I continued walking and stopped and took several shots. Once again I continued up the path and again, the hawk flew past me and stopped in another tree. I could not believe what I was experiencing. More shots, walked up the path and again, here comes the hawk. It was truely beginning to be errie by now. When I would stop to take photo's, the hawk would turn its head back and look straight at me. Just makes you wonder what it was thinking. I feel sure it did not feel threatened. There is no way it would have let me get that close otherwise.


I had hoped to see how long this would continue but about this time, a group of school children came running down the path. Oh well, maybe another time if I am lucky.




















As I was leaving, the Kingfisher that I have been trying to get a decent picture of was hanging out in its favorite tree. It is quite some distance away and had decided it was simply out of lens range. I thought what the heck as I my intent was to take test shots. Well doggy! Compared to previous shots, same tree, similar light conditions, much clearer. Maybe I have found my issue.

No comments: