Saturday, November 13, 2010

Solitude


There is something to be said for the power of solitude. It can be isolating or it can be rejuvenating. After several hours of walking this morning, I began to feel a soothing calmness come over me. My body and brain both relaxed for the first time in several weeks. I found myself thoroughly enjoying complete aloneness almost dreading the thought of running into anyone on the trail. No phones, no one calling my name, just peace and quiet.

Usually as I walk I am always searching for birds or any other wildlife that may be present. Somewhere off in the distance, I could hear a woodpecker and only saw two Carolina Wrens. After three visits to this park this year, I am always amazed at the lack of birds. I believe it is because there seems to be a lack of natural food sources. There is an eagle that sometimes hangs out down by the river but I was late getting there this morning and decided not to go to that area. The usual park I visit has a variety of natural food sources that attract a large variety of species.

I arrived at the river without encountering a single soul along the way. There were a couple of people on the other side and after a wave and short rest I was on my way. I backtracked and cut down another trail and a mile later was back down at the river further up stream. Amazingly, I still did not cross paths with anyone. Finally, something photo worthy. I believe it is a Lesser Yellowlegs. I searched the bird book and there were a couple that looked similar but I believe I am correct. Another short rest and back on the move.

Coming back up is always the toughest. With little to distract the growing tightness in my legs, I made a point of finding trees with holes. Something to take my mind off the tiredness and an excuse to stop every now and then to take a picture.
After arriving back up at the main junctions in the park I started running in to people and it seemed as if there were as many dogs as people in the park.
Guilt flooded over me as I thought how much Ali would have enjoyed the walk. After I arrived home, I did a quick get her ready and off to the local park we went. We spent about an hour walking which with her is a lot of stopping and sniffing. She had to do a meet and great with every dog that came by so I think she had a good little afternoon walk also.

No comments: