Friday, June 10, 2011

Hot, Hazy, Humid Day

My initial plans this morning was to visit a nature park north of Raleigh. Awaking later than I intended, I changed my plans because I simply did not want to face the horrendous traffic on that part of town, particularly on a Friday when everyone is already in a hurry to get where they are going so they can hurry and get back home.

I went to my usual park and after I got there was very glad on the change. I never saw anyone until I was walking to the car to leave. Love it! The Chat was chatting up a storm this morning and since I was by myself, once again decided to chat back. Five different times I got the bird to come close enough to get some really great shots. I probably spent 30 minutes mimicking the bird and getting it to come close. They are generally very elusive preferring to stay in the shadows and hide yet are very vocal and animated in their calls.

As I was moving to another location, I came across this squirrel on the bridge railing. I stood
looking and thinking something about this squirrel was different. The tail!!! I have never seen such a long tail. At first I thought it was just an illusion but when another squirrel came up beside it, it became obvious that the tail was at least 6 inches longer than the other squirrel's. It also had a very reddish tone to the fur versus the generally predominately gray squirrels we have in the area. What a small variation in genetics can do.

Lots of Swallows out and about chasing insects. Barn, Tree and Rough-winged Brown. They lined the railing of the bridge and would take off all around you when you finally got within about 3 feet of where they were perching. Something about them, they are just very sweet looking birds to me.

No comments: