Sunday, June 3, 2012

Red-Shouldered Hawk

After an absolutely horrendous day at work, I felt the need for some alone time when I arrived home this afternoon.  I didn't want to hear anyone talking or phones ringing.  After quickly feeding and walking the dog, I grabbed the camera and headed out.

Sweet peace and quiet.  I first spotted the hawk as I was watching a pair of Indigo Buntings hunting.  I could not get a good shot of it then and figured I had lost my chance.  As I continued down the path, the hawk flew in behind and over me coming to rest in a tree.  Too hidden by the foliage, no shot.  I kept walking and before to long, once again it flew over and came to rest in a tree.  I ever so carefully eased up on it moving very slowly expecting it to fly.  To my delight, it sat and allowed me to get fairly close.  By now it was close to 1730 and lighting was not optimal but I gave it a go.


Not too bad for hand holding with an ISO between 640 to 800 and a slow shutter speed.  After already witnessing a failed attempt at a dove, I left the hawk to hopefully find a meal for the evening.

No comments: