Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wonderful Morning

After days of rain, it was nice to get out this morning before more rain came in this afternoon.  I went with a friend and his wife to an area in the next county over.  It was a very isolated area and I don't think I would have gone by myself or at least would not have felt very comfortable.

As soon as the car door opened it was a symphony of bird songs.  I was excited as I began to identify what was there.  It was not long before what I hoped to see flew by.  The number of Prothonotary Warblers were a delight to the senses.

Continuing on down a path, there was a great flurry of activity among some American Redstarts.  Before long we spotted what they were upset about...a snake in the tree.  A group of 5 or 6 females began displaying and alarming in the tree where the snake was.  Not once did we ever see a male though.












On my way home, I did make a quick stop by my usual birding haunt and what do you know, I spotted a male Redstart!













A Yellow-throated Warbler was searching a tree and feeding a young one.















As we were leaving we spotted a White-eyed Vireo.  I really like these birds with their white eye.




 

No comments: