Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sad Ending for Black-throated Blue Warbler

Exams this week and a paper to write have not given me any free time this week.  I took the last exam this morning and made it home by mid afternoon.  I was so thrilled to see some warblers finally arrive at the bath.  I went to clean the window in case I wanted to take some photos and could have just cried within about 10 minutes of cleaning, I heard a hit on the window.

I walked out on the deck and oh so sadly spotted a little Black-throated Blue Warbler.  I had hoped that it was not badly hurt and only stunned.  To protect the little bird I gently placed it on a towel in a small box and called a lady who is a wildlife rehabilitator to ask for some advice.  Unfortunately about an hour later the little bird passed.  I felt so guilty that here the little bird had flown thousands of miles during migration now this!  Needless to say, all screens are now down on the windows and those with only half screens have a sticky yellow post-it note on
them.

To make the best of a bad event, during a program I attended tonight at the Museum of Natural History, I found someone to talk to and asked would they be interested in the bird.  Yes, they very much wanted it.  Fortunately I had left the little bird in the box to be buried once I got back from the program.  It is now safely wrapped, tucked away in a paper towel holder, wrapped in foil and placed in the freezer.  I told the museum that I would get it to them this weekend.  At least I feel a little better that it will now be used for learning and not just a waste of life.

No comments: