Saturday, March 10, 2012

What's Out Saturday


Coolish today with a fair breeze so my plans to go see the eagles is off until tomorrow.  After my 12 day work week, it was just nice to be outside and enjoy some nature.  I was very anxious to see any new arrivals.  The first thing I heard was the fast chipping then I finally spotted the bird.  The Chipping Sparrows have arrived.  Always a sign spring is almost here.  Their fast chipping seems to have confused the Pine Warblers who would reply back after a string of chipping.  On several occasions I would see a Pine Warbler fly close by to where a Chipping Sparrow was calling out as if to check out the newcomer.

Courtship looked to be the activity of the day.  Pairs seen together today inlcuded Northern Flickers, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays (the largest gathering of Jay's, around a dozen, I have ever seen), Pine Warblers, Cardinals, Eastern Bluebirds, Red-tailed Hawks and Pileated Woodpeckers. 










A pair of Pileated Woodpeckers were intent on working on a cavity tree.  One was increasing the size of the already existing hole and the other was standing off to the side and would occasionally fly in and look in the hole.They were so intent on their activity I was able to ease up very close to watch them.
















One of my purposes at the location I went today was to see if the Redstarts had arrived.  I finally spotted the female then the male.  I stood for some time hoping for a chance to get a good shot however they were hunting deep within some brush and all the shots were very poor.  The entire time I stood in that location, a Brown Thrasher serenaded me.  They have a beautiful and varied medley.

Moving on as I was walking across a large expanse of field, a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks followed overhead.  From time to time they would come down fairly low.  I expect they were watching for a field mice I might stir up.

I am looking forward to meeting my friend tomorrow for some eagle and osprey watching. Hope to have some good shots for tomorrow.

No comments: