Sunday, February 19, 2012

Change

A bit of diversion from my usual posts yet somehow, all things seem connected  .Just as the seasons change, stages in our lives change and mine is getting ready to make a big one.  I usually don't share much about my personal life so this is way out of the norm and is more to let my friends know.

In May of this year, I will complete 30 years of military service and am hanging up the boots.  A friend whom I worked with several years ago told me when the time came I would know it.  Well Jerry.....you were correct.  The time has arrived!  And, yes, it can't get here fast enough.

From last Monday until yesterday I have been filled with a gamut of emotions.  A certain amount was a fear of change and the uncertainty it holds.  That however, has now been replaced with an almost overwhelming sense of relief and like the weight of the world has been lifted.  That restricting band around my chest has been removed and I can now take a fully expanded deep breath.

Approaching this decision for many months, it is now final.  The constant stress and pressure were beginning to have a negative impact on my health and my mental well-being.  After the last visit to a doctor for some issues and was told it was stress related, that was a clincher.  No job is worth that.  My creativity had reached a low point and many things I previously enjoyed such as painting and drawing had long since slipped away.  Slowly the desire to indulge in the more artistic and beauty aspects of life are beginning to return.  As we only get one go round in life, I want to focus on the good.

Enjoy the beauty and enjoy the journey.  Life is far too short and uncertain. 

2 comments:

Woodduck said...

I can certainly relate. Started at 20 and out at 50. '69 to '99 was enough for me...happy trails!

Nature Girl said...

Yep, it is definitely time for a change. I too have had enough.