Monday, December 8, 2014

Another Gray Day

It has been another gray, cool day with a wind that cuts through you.  The brief period of blue sky this morning was very short.  I had several things to work on here at the house so I did not go out.  It turns out it was a good day to stay home with lots of activity from the hawk.  The photos are definitely not the best as the day was dark and there were lots of small limbs between the camera and the hawk.

First thing this morning I noticed lots of turkey vultures flying around the house which is a good indicator they have something spotted.  I kept hearing and seeing the hawk flying around and on one trip past the window, I spotted it sitting on a limb tearing meat from something unknown.  It was not long before the crows began harassing it and it flew off.

Sometime later, I was again looked out the window and spotted the hawk again but this time with something different.  The hawk sat for ten minutes shredding whatever it was.  After it left I walked out to see if I spotted fur or something that would give me an idea of what it was eating but nothing.



Finally the Turkey Vultures clued in on where the hawk was and moved in for leftovers.

4 comments:

ME2NC said...

Lots of activity from your window today! :-) I don't think I ever saw turkey vultures going after something on a branch before. Blue skies are coming our way!!

Nature Girl said...

The Turkey Vultures had been trying to steal from the hawk several times but the hawk seriously protected whatever it had. When the hawk was done the TV's swooped in to get what was left. Wish the light had been better but sometimes you take what you can get.

Coppertop said...

There always seems to be a branch in the way when taking birds in the trees, hard to get a clear shot even with the leaves gone.
So you have turkey vultures also!

Nature Girl said...

Hey Liz, Sorry for the delay but I missed you comment. Yeah, a limb always seems to be in the way. Yes, both turkey and black vultures. They can be a little creepy sometimes.