Saturday, February 14, 2015

Have A Lovey-Dovey Valentine's Day

These photos were taken this past Sunday and I thought it would make a good Valentine's Day post.  I had taken a break from some yard work when I noticed this pair of doves sitting in the tree.  I recognized their courtship behavior so grabbed the camera.  I find animal behavior quite fascinating to watch.








There was lots of head bobbing and feather fluffing as the male approached the female.  The male saw his opportunity and approached.

The mating behavior was very brief and I feel sure it was nothing more than bonding behavior as it is definitely too early for nesting.











 If a bird's expression can look happy, I would say this pair would be a happy couple.
















They sealed  their bond with a "kiss".  Awe,  how sweet!













The pair spent some time taking turns nuzzling each other......

















then cuddled up together and had a nice little nap.








4 comments:

Coppertop said...

How cute and appropriate for the day!

Nature Girl said...

Thanks Liz. I had saved the photos thinking it was a good post for today. They were so sweet and tender with each other. I guess all creatures like a little "love" in their lives.

Unknown said...

Lots of doves around here and it appears that they are in the mood for love. :-) Maybe it will be an early spring.

Nature Girl said...

Hi Gladys, I had been hoping for an early spring too and now the cold snap tomorrow through next week has me thinking maybe not. Last Sunday was so nice that maybe the doves were thinking spring was here too.