Thursday, February 19, 2015

Northern Cardinals

It has been absolutely miserably cold today.  We had a brief but beautiful snow for about 20 minutes late yesterday afternoon.  I wished it had been earlier in the day so I could have gotten some pretty shots.

We have one more night of intense cold before the temperatures begin to moderate somewhat.  The kind of cold we are getting right now is so not normal.

The Cardinals have been steady visitors at the feeders munching on sunflower seeds.  I am glad I had just filled the seed bin before the cold, ice and snow hit.  As they are such an ever present bird, I sometimes forget how pretty they are.  They make a bright splash in the landscape when not much other color is around.

The males almost seem more red during the winter while the female takes on a golden hue with whispers of red.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

9º this morning!! Really??!! :-) Love the cardinal photos.

We are heading for Florida on Sunday for two or three weeks. I will probably only post to Facebook while gone. I should have lots of photos to put on the site when I get back. Hopefully, by that time, the weather will be WARM.

Nature Girl said...

I know! This weather sucks! Can I hide in your trunk? Oh to be somewhere warm. Hope you and your hubby have a great time and I look forward to seeing your photos. If this cold keeps up much longer, going somewhere warm sounds like a very good idea. Be safe.