Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pileated Woodpecker

The morning started out very cold after a late afternoon and early evening storm that laid down a thin layer of ice.  I just could not believe we were having yet another round of frozen precipitation.  The wind chill made it just too cold to go out this morning.  By the end of the day most of the ice on hard surfaces had melted although it did not get far above freezing today.  Old man winter is holding on hard!



Over the last two weeks, I have seen a Pileated Woodpecker checking out various trees around the yard.  This afternoon as I walked out to go put food out for the deer, I grabbed the camera.  While still overcast and gray, it had lightened up a bit so thought perhaps I could get a decent shot if I saw it.



The Pileated WPs always seems so elusive and camera shy it can be hard to get a good shot.  This afternoon it was so focused on working on the tree it paid little attention to me.  It would seriously work on the hole then stop, lean way back, look around for a while and start back on the tree.

I think these are such cool WP's.  I love to hear the noise they make.



2 comments:

ME2NC said...

Great shot, Paula. We have one that lives in the woods line behind our home but it leaves as soon as I go out.

We didn't get any ice yesterday but it was cold. Today is warmer but rainy. Not very good picture taking weather.

Nature Girl said...

Thanks, I am pretty happy with it. This one is working on a tree in the yard. It has a pretty good size hole going so I am keeping my fingers crossed they will nest. It was overcast most of the day here but no rain.